Fig & Walnut Wild Rice Dressing
31g CARB SERVES: 8 ACTIVE : 1 hr. TOTAL: 11/2 hrs.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Prepare dressing through Step 4; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. When ready to cook, bake as directed in Step 5, adding more time as needed to heat through.
3 cups low-sodium chicken or
¾ cup wild rice
¾ cup brown rice
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced (2 cups) 2 stalks celery, diced (1 cup) ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg ¼ teaspoon ground white or black
¾ cup chopped fresh parsley
½ cup walnuts, chopped and
¼ cup chopped dried Mission figs ¼ cup chopped fresh sage or 1 ½
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 2-qt. baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine broth, wild rice, and brown
rice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the rice is tender, 40 to 45 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, nutmeg, and pepper, and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add parsley, walnuts, figs, and sage.
4. Drain the rice, reserving the cooking liquid, and transfer to the bowl. Measure 1 cup of the cooking liquid (add additional broth or water to reach 1 cup, if needed) and stir into the rice mixture.
5. Transfer the dressing to the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake until heated through, about 10 minutes more.
PER SERVING (3/4 cup each): CAL 240, CARB
31 g (3 g fiber, 4 g sugars), FAT 11 g (1 g sat. fat), PROTEIN 6 g, CHOL 0 mg, SODIUM 40 mg.