A little prep can save you time on busy days. Complete these steps all at once before the start of Day 1 or pace yourself by completing each day’s prep the day before.
• Cook 1¼ lbs. (20 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breast, which will make 15 oz. cooked chicken. Try our recipe for poached chicken ( right). You’ll use 4 oz. for lunch on Day 1, 8 oz. for dinner on Day 2, and 3 oz. for lunch on Day 3.
• Cook 1¼ cups brown rice in 2½ cups water. You’ll use 2 cups cooked rice for dinner on Day 1 and ½ cup for lunch on Day 3.
• Make Creamy Salad Dressing: Combine 1 Tbsp. low-fat plain Greek yogurt, 2 tsp. each lemon juice
BOE PMJWF PJM BOE ʸ UTQ FBDI TBMU ground pepper, and garlic powder. Refrigerate for lunch on Day 1.
• Prepare Peanut Butter Overnight Oats: Stir together ½ cup 1% milk (or water) and 2 Tbsp. unsalted peanut butter in a pint-size glass jar until smooth. Stir in ½ cup old-fashioned oats, ½ cup frozen mixed berries, and 2 Tbsp. walnuts. Refrigerate overnight for breakfast on Day 2.
• Make Soy-Ginger Sauce: Combine 2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce, 1 tsp. canola oil, ½ tsp. grated fresh ginHFS BOE ʸ UTQ FBDI HBSMJD QPXEFS and crushed red pepper. Refrigerate for up to 3 days for lunch on Day 3. Poached Chicken: To poach boneless, skinless chicken breasts, place in a deep-sided skillet or soup pot and cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Skim any froth. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer. Turn the chicken over and cover the pan. Cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165ºF, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the chicken from the poaching liquid with tongs. Let the chicken cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Strain the leftover poaching liquid and use it as you would chicken broth, if desired. Refrigerate the liquid separately for 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
If you need more calories in your day, try one of these nutritious snacks. Each contains about 1 carb serving (15 grams carbohydrates).
1. MULTIGRAIN CRACKER & AVOCADO
1 multigrain Wasa cracker + ½ avocado, mashed
2. APPLE & CHEDDAR CHEESE
1 small apple + ½ oz. Cheddar cheese
3. STRAWBERRIES & CASHEWS
½ cup sliced strawberries + 1 oz. unsalted cashews