Dove Hunting Guide
Doves a la Mancha
• 12 doves, or 4 to 8 squab or teal
• Kosher salt
• 3 Tbsp. olive oil
• 12 bay leaves
• 12 to 24 sage leaves
• About ¼ c. melted bacon fat, butter or duck fat • Spanish smoked paprika • Freshly ground black pepper
1. Coat the doves with olive oil and salt them well. Stuff each breast with sage and a bay leaf.
2. Get your grill hot. Set the doves breast side up and cook them over medium-high heat, with the grill cover closed, for six minutes. Open the grill cover and turn the doves over. Brush the birds with some bacon fat. Let them cook this way for a minute or two, just to get a little crispy. Turn the doves on their sides and grill for another minute or two -- for each side. Brush with more bacon fat.
3. Dust with the smoked paprika and the black pepper and remove from grill. Let them rest for five minutes.