Dove Hunting Guide
Doves and Dumplings
• 8 c. chicken broth
• 5 stalks celery, chopped w/ leaves
• 3 small onions, chopped
• 3 Tbsp. garlic, minced
• 1 c. mushrooms, sliced, optional
• salt and pepper, to taste
• 25 doves, cleaned
• 2 ½ c. all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting work surface
• ¾ c. water
• chopped parsley, optional for garnish
1. Boil chicken broth with celery, onions, garlic, mushrooms, salt and pepper.
2. Add doves and simmer until tender, about 20 - 30 minutes. Remove doves to cool. Return broth to a boil.
3. Meanwhile, lightly flour a work surface. Mix flour with water to form a ball of dough, not too sticky.
4. Roll dough into a very thin rectangle. Cut into strips. (A pizza cutter works well.) Pull each strip up from surface, stretching slightly to make even thinner.
5. Drop strips into the boiling broth one at a time. Cook for approximately 20 minutes.
6. Shred dove meat. When dumplings are cooked, add shredded dove meat to broth and adjust seasonings. Serve garnished with parsley. Serves 8.