Love Sweet Potatoes?
TRY THIS POMMES ANNA,
ACTIVE: 35 min TOTAL: 1½ hrs
EQUIPMENT: 8-inch cast-iron skillet, mandoline This multicolored galette is a fun twist on the classic dish made with white potatoes. Don’t worry if you only have one type of sweet potato, the result will still be beautiful. The bottom bakes to a potato-chip crisp with a caramelly sweetness, while the interior becomes melt-in-your-mouth rich. (Photo: page 83.) 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 12 ounces purple sweet potatoes, peeled 12 ounces orange sweet potatoes, peeled 12 ounces white sweet potatoes, peeled 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Combine butter and oil in a small dish. Liberally brush the bottom and sides of an 8-inch cast-iron skillet with some of the mixture.
3. Using a mandoline, thinly slice sweet potatoes about 1∕16 inch thick. Arrange one-fourth of the potatoes in concentric circles in the pan, overlapping the slices and alternating colors. Brush with some of the butter mixture and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon each thyme, salt and pepper. Repeat to make three more layers.
4. Heat the pan over high heat until the sweet potatoes start sizzling, about 3 minutes. Cover the pan with foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
5. Uncover and continue baking until the sweet potatoes in the center are easily pierced with a skewer and the bottom is golden brown and slightly crispy, 20 to 25 minutes more.
6. Let cool for 10 minutes. Run a small sharp knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the potatoes, then invert the galette onto a serving plate. Cut into 8 wedges.
SERVES 8: 1 wedge each
CAL 140 / FAT 8G (SAT 3G) / CHOL 11MG / CARBS 16G / TOTAL SUGARS 5G (ADDED 0G) / PROTEIN 2G / FIBER 3G / SODIUM 319MG / POTASSIUM 374MG.