Skillet Chicken Parmesan
ACTIVE: 30 min TOTAL: 35 min
If you can’t find cutlets at your supermarket, place a boneless, skinless breast flat on a cutting board, hold it steady with your palm and, using a sharp knife, slice the breast horizontally into two thin pieces.
3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat 4 chicken breast cutlets (4 ounces each, about 1/2 inch thick), trimmed
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon sliced garlic
2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup torn fresh basil, divided
3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Position rack in middle of oven; preheat broiler to high.
2. Place panko in a shallow dish and dredge cutlets in it, pressing gently to fully coat.
3. Heat 11/2 tablespoons oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat; add half the cutlets and cook until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with 11/2 tablespoons oil and the remaining cutlets. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and garlic to the pan; cook, stirring often, until softened and fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce and sugar and bring to a boil over medium-high. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
5. Nestle the cutlets into the sauce in the pan. Top with 1/2 cup basil, mozzarella and Parmesan. Transfer the pan to the oven.
6. Broil until the cheese is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool for 3 minutes before serving. Top with the remaining basil.
SERVES 4: 3 oz. chicken & 1/2 cup sauce each
CAL 410 / FAT 23G (SAT 6G) / CHOL 81MG / CARBS 19G / TOTAL SUGARS 7G (ADDED 2G) / PROTEIN 33G / FIBER 3G / SODIUM 432MG / POTASSIUM 643MG.