Chicken, Quinoa & Sweet Potato Casserole
ACTIVE: 15 min TOTAL: 45 min
This hot dish is made with multicolored quinoa, a blend of white, red and black varieties, but any color will work.
4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1 pound) 3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon canola oil
11/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed 2 cups chopped seeded poblano chiles
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups unsalted chicken broth
11/2 cups multicolored quinoa
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place sweet potatoes and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; pierce a few holes in the top with a fork. Microwave on High for 4 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 1-inch strips.
4. Add poblanos, shallots and garlic to the pan and cook over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add broth, quinoa, wine, salt, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the sweet potatoes and chicken.
5. Spoon the mixture into a 7-by-11-inch (or similar-size) broiler-proof baking dish. Cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven; increase oven temperature to broil. Uncover the casserole and sprinkle with cheese. Broil 8 inches from the heat source until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
SERVES 8: 1 cup each
CAL 349 / FAT 11G (SAT 3G) / CHOL 83MG / CARBS 39G / TOTAL SUGARS 6G (ADDED 0G) / PROTEIN 23G / FIBER 5G / SODIUM 432MG / POTASSIUM 660MG.