Chicken & Dumplings
ACTIVE: 35 min TOTAL: 1 hr 25 min
Whole-wheat pastry flour gives these dumplings a prominent nuttiness that totally fits in with the savory chicken stew.
4 cups unsalted chicken broth
2 cups water
11/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 bay leaf
3 bone-in chicken breasts (1 pound each)
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped carrot
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup all-purpose flour plus
2 tablespoons, divided, plus more for dusting
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour plus 2 tablespoons, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup whole milk
3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1. Combine broth, water, salt and bay leaf in a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the chicken registers 165°F, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; discard the bay leaf. Shred the chicken into bite-size pieces and transfer to a bowl. Discard the bones. Reserve the broth mixture in the pot.
2. Melt butter in a small skillet over mediumhigh heat until foamy. Add carrot and celery and cook, stirring often, until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add to the chicken in the bowl and stir to combine.
3. Whisk 1 cup each all-purpose and wholewheat flour with baking powder in a large bowl. Add milk and stir until just combined. Let the dough stand for 10 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured work surface to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 11/2-inch square dumplings.
5. Measure 1/2 cup of the reserved broth mixture into a small bowl. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons each all-purpose and whole-wheat flour; whisk until smooth. Return the mixture to the large pot, whisking to incorporate. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the dumplings and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in the chicken mixture and season with pepper; simmer for 1 minute. Serve sprinkled with thyme.
SERVES 6: 2 cups each
CAL 460 / FAT 8G (SAT 3G) / CHOL 117MG / CARBS 52G / TOTAL SUGARS 4G (ADDED 0G) / PROTEIN 43G / FIBER 6G / SODIUM 761MG / POTASSIUM 910MG.