Kula Pickled Beet Salad
ACTIVE: 45 min TOTAL: 1 hr 5 min
TO MAKE AHEAD: Refrigerate pickled beets and kale puree (Steps 2-4) for up to 2 days.
Quick-pickled beets are topped here with a namasu (a lightly pickled vegetable salad) made with carrot, cucumber and daikon radish. Dishes like this reflect the influence of Japanese immigrants who came to Hawaii to work on the sugar plantations in the 1800s. (Photo: page 78.)
1 cup julienned carrots
1 cup julienned cucumber
1 cup julienned daikon
21/2 cups water plus 5 tablespoons, divided 11/4 cups sugar, divided
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 pounds beets, trimmed, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups red-wine vinegar
2 stalks lemongrass, pale yellow part only 11/2 tablespoons sliced fresh ginger
13/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided 4 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
6 cups chopped kale
1 clove garlic, minced
1. Place carrots, cucumber and daikon in a medium heatproof bowl. Combine 1/2 cup each water, sugar and rice vinegar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Pour over the vegetables.
Let marinate, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, bring 1 inch of water in the saucepan fitted with a steamer basket to a boil over high heat. Add beets, cover and steam until tender, 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
3. Add 2 cups water, the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, red-wine vinegar, lemongrass, ginger and 11/2 teaspoons salt to the pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the beets. Let marinate, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add kale, garlic and 3 tablespoons water; cook, stirring, until the kale is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons water and 1/4 teaspoon salt; puree until the consistency of pesto.
5. Spread the kale puree on a serving platter. Drain the beets and arrange on top of the kale. Serve topped with the marinated vegetables.
SERVES 8: 3/4 cup each
CAL 127 / FAT 7G (SAT 1G) / CHOL 0MG / CARBS 14G / TOTAL SUGARS 10G (ADDED 3G) / PROTEIN 2G /
FIBER 3G / SODIUM 191MG / POTASSIUM 378MG.