Teriyaki Chicken Skewers with Blistered Shishito Peppers
ACTIVE: 45 min TOTAL: 45 min
EQUIPMENT: Six 11-inch metal skewers Thin-skinned shishito peppers char quickly on the grill. We cook them on their own skewers, separate from the chicken. This way you can add them in the last few minutes so they don’t get too blistered. These peppers can sometimes be spicy, so if you don’t like too much heat, swap in mini bell peppers instead. Serve over rice to round out the meal.
1/4 cup 50%-less-sodium tamari
(see Tip) or low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup mirin
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil 1 tablespoon light brown sugar 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces 2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
6 ounces shishito peppers
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds 1 scallion, thinly sliced
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Combine tamari (or soy sauce), mirin, sesame oil, brown sugar, ginger and garlic in a medium bowl. Transfer half the mixture to a small saucepan. Add chicken to the bowl and toss to coat. Let marinate, stirring once or twice, for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring the marinade in the pan to a boil. Whisk water and cornstarch in a small bowl; add to the pan. Cook, whisking, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Thread peppers crosswise onto 3 skewers and the chicken onto the remaining 3 skewers. (Discard any remaining marinade.) Oil the grill rack. Grill the chicken, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 165°F, about 10 minutes. Grill the peppers, turning occasionally, until charred, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Brush the chicken and peppers with the reserved sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallion.
SERVES 4: 3 oz. chicken & 1/2 cup peppers each Cal 303 Fat 14g (sat 3g) Chol 151mg Carbs 10g Total sugars 7g (added 2g) Protein 30g Fiber 1g Sodium 562mg Potassium 431mg.