Ginger-basil Chicken & Broccoli Stir-fry
ACTIVE: 30 min TOTAL: 30 min
Broccoli and snow peas add color, crunch and, of course, 11/2 servings of vegetables per person to this easy stir-fry. Serve over rice or rice noodles to absorb every last bit of the sauce.
5 tablespoons 50%-less-sodium tamari (see Tip, page 32) or low-sodium soy sauce, divided 4 tablespoons rice vinegar, divided 4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided 1 pound chicken cutlets, thinly sliced 4 teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided 6 cloves garlic, minced
4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger 2 scallions, sliced
4 cups broccoli florets 2 tablespoons water
2 cups snow peas
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped or torn
1. KIDS DO Combine 2 tablespoons tamari
(or soy sauce), 1 tablespoon vinegar and 2 teaspoons cornstarch in a shallow dish. Stir in chicken and set aside.
2. KIDS DO Mix the remaining 3 tablespoons each tamari (or soy sauce) and vinegar, 2 teaspoons cornstarch and honey in a small bowl; set near the stove.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large flat-bottom wok or cast-iron skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add the chicken in a single layer and cook until golden on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook for 1 minute more. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add garlic, ginger and scallions and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in broccoli and water, quickly cover and steam for 2 minutes.
5. Add snow peas and return the chicken and any accumulated juices. Stir the reserved sauce and add to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently and scraping up any browned bits, until the sauce is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil.
SERVES 4: 11 cups each
Cal 300 Fat 10g (sat 1g) Chol 83mg Carbs 19g
Total sugars 9g (added 6g) Protein 31g Fiber 4g
Sodium 686mg Potassium 676mg.