Blue Corn Waffles Rancheros,
ACTIVE: 1 hr TOTAL: 1 hr
TO MAKE AHEAD: Refrigerate aioli (Step 1) and tomatillo salsa (Step 2) for up to 4 days.
EQUIPMENT: Waffle iron
One of the specialties at Hidden Kitchen in Cayucos is the blue corn waffles. They’re served up in nine savory and sweet ways. The owners wouldn’t part with the recipe, but this homage to the rancheros-like “Cayucos Cowboy” is pretty tasty. (Photo: page 56.)
1 large egg yolk, pasteurized if desired 1/4 cup chipotle peppers in adobo 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, coarsely chopped 1/4 cup avocado oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 ounces tomatillos, husks removed
1/2 large onion, cut into thick slices
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded, if desired 1 clove garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/8 teaspoon salt
WAFFLES & TOPPING
11/4 cups blue cornmeal
1/2 cup masa harina
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup low-fat milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
11/2 teaspoons maple syrup
5 large eggs, divided
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 15-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and warmed
Sliced avocado, lime wedges & fresh cilantro for serving
1. To prepare aioli: Combine egg yolk, chipotles, lemon juice and chopped garlic in a food processor. Puree until smooth. With the motor running, drizzle in 1/4 cup oil. Season with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. To prepare tomatillo salsa: Preheat broiler to high. Place tomatillos, onion, jalapeño and garlic in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning the vegetables occasionally, until blistered and soft, about 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor along with cilantro and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Pulse to a slightly chunky consistency.
3. To prepare waffles: Place a baking sheet in the oven; preheat to 200°F. Whisk cornmeal, masa harina, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Whisk milk, butter, maple syrup and 1 egg in a medium bowl. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until smooth. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes to thicken.
4. Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat. Spoon in enough batter to cover 3/4 of the surface (about 2 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron). Cook until the waffle is crisp and golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the waffle to the baking sheet in the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter.
5. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Crack in the remaining 4 eggs and cook to desired doneness, 11/2 to 2 minutes for a runny yolk and 31/2 to 4 minutes for a firmer yolk.
6. Top the waffles with the eggs, aioli, salsa and beans. Serve with avocado, lime wedges and cilantro, if desired.
SERVES 4: 1 waffle, 1 egg, 1/2 cup black beans, 2 Tbsp. aioli & 1/4 cup salsa each
Cal 706 Fat 38g (sat 10g) Chol 305mg Carbs 69g
Total sugars 8g (added 2g) Protein 23g Fiber 12g
Sodium 676mg Potassium 612mg.