Dad’s Mushroom Sandwich
ACTIVE: 55 min TOTAL: 5 hrs
TO MAKE AHEAD: Refrigerate pickled onion (Step 1) for up to 1 week.
Using ghee to cook the components of this sandwich imparts a nutty flavor you wouldn’t get by using butter. (Photo: page 54.)
11/2 tablespoons crushed red pepper 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns 1 clove garlic, smashed and peeled
1 bay leaf
1 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard 1 teaspoon vegetarian Worcestershire
5 tablespoons ghee, divided
8 slices whole-wheat bread
14 ounces maitake mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 slices sharp Cheddar cheese
4 large eggs
8 lettuce leaves, preferably red oak
1. To prepare pickled onion: Toast crushed red pepper, peppercorns, garlic and bay leaf in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until fragrant, 1 to 3 minutes. Add vinegar; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Place onion in a medium nonreactive bowl and pour the hot liquid over it. Let cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours and up to 1 week.
2. To prepare sandwich: Combine mayonnaise, mustard and Worcestershire in a small bowl.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 to 3 bread slices and cook until browned on one side only, 1 to 2 minutes, adjusting heat as necessary. Transfer to a plate. Repeat 2 more times with 2 tablespoons ghee and the remaining bread.
4. Add mushrooms, pepper, salt and 1 tablespoon ghee to the pan. Cook, without stirring, until browned and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the mushrooms and press with a spatula to flatten. Top with cheese and cook until it is melted, about 3 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
5. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon ghee to the pan over medium heat. Crack eggs into the pan, cover and cook to desired doneness, 2 to 4 minutes.
6. Spread the sauce on the untoasted sides of the bread. Layer the pickled onion, mushrooms, eggs and lettuce between the bread slices. SERVES 4: 1 sandwich each
Cal 623 Fat 38g (sat 17g) Chol 252mg Carbs 51g
Total sugars 21g (added 13g) Protein 21g Fiber 7g
Sodium 674mg Potassium 536mg.