ACTIVE: 45 min TOTAL: 11/2 hrs
TO MAKE AHEAD: Freeze unbaked shortcakes (Steps 1-3) airtight for up to 3 months. Bake from frozen for about 20 minutes.
EQUIPMENT: Parchment paper
These shortcakes’ flaky layers are created by repeatedly rolling, cutting and stacking pieces of the dough. It takes a few extra minutes, but trust us—the results are worth it.
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup rye flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 cup buttermilk plus
2 teaspoons, divided
11/2 teaspoons turbinado sugar
12 ounces strawberries, trimmed and halved or quartered, if large
3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup heavy cream
1. To prepare shortcakes: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, rye flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and use a pastry blender, 2 knives or your fingertips to incorporate it until pea-size lumps form. Make a well in the mixture and add 3/4 cup buttermilk. Stir until the dough comes together.
2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead with the heel of your hand until it comes together in a ball. Wrap the dough loosely in plastic wrap and flatten into a large rectangle about 1 inch thick. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
3. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface. Using a bench scraper or knife, cut it in half and stack the pieces on top of each other. Roll into a rectangle about 1 inch thick. Cut the dough in half again and repeat the process 2 times more. Roll the final piece of dough into an 8-inch square about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 9 square shortcakes. Transfer to a baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Place the cold shortcakes about 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining 2 teaspoons buttermilk and sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
6. Bake until the shortcakes are golden brown, 14 to 18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
7. To prepare filling: Combine strawberries, 21/2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla and lemon juice in a medium bowl. Let stand until the juices are released, about 15 minutes.
8. Beat cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or with a hand mixer on medium speed until frothy, about 1 minute. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar and beat on medium-high until soft peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes more, scraping down the sides as needed. Split the shortcakes and serve with the strawberries and whipped cream.
SERVES 9: 1 shortcake each
Cal 354 Fat 21g (sat 13g) Chol 58mg Carbs 38g
Total sugars 12g (added 8g) Protein 5g Fiber 3g
Sodium 369mg Potassium 157mg.