Strawberry Cornmeal Layer Cake
ACTIVE: 45 min TOTAL: 9½ hrs (including cooling & chilling time)
TO MAKE AHEAD: Prepare through Step 7 and refrigerate cake, well wrapped, for up to 4 days.
EQUIPMENT: 9-inch round cake pan, parchment paper
We love everything about this gorgeous dessert—from the orange-scented cornmeal cake to the tangy whipped cream and loads of summer berries. But the best part? It truly gets better with time, as the strawberry juices soak ever more deeply into the cake.
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup low-fat plain yogurt, at room
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
FILLING & TOPPING
1 cup heavy cream
31/2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
2 pounds strawberries, quartered
1. To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Beat eggs and 3/4 cup sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on low speed until incorporated. Add 1 cup yogurt, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla; beat until combined. Beating on medium-low, slowly add oil, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add the dry ingredients in 2 additions, beating on low just until incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and tap it lightly on the counter to remove air bubbles.
4. Bake the cake until golden brown and the edges begin to pull away from the sides, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely, about 2 hours.
5. To prepare filling & topping: Beat cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on medium speed until frothy, about 1 minute. Add 1½ tablespoons sugar and beat on medium-high until soft peaks form, 1½ to 2 minutes. Fold in yogurt.
6. Combine strawberries and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl. Transfer half to another bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
7. Using a bread knife, cut the cooled cake in half. Place the bottom layer on a serving plate, cut-side up. Spoon the remaining strawberries on top. Spread half of the whipped cream over them. Place the remaining cake layer on top, cut-side down. Spoon the remaining whipped cream on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or up to 4 days.
8. Just before serving, top the cake with the reserved strawberries and their juice.
SERVES 12: 1 piece each
Cal 303 Fat 15g (sat 6g) Chol 55mg Carbs 38g
Total sugars 23g (added 16g) Protein 5g Fiber 2g
Sodium 201mg Potassium 227mg.