DR of­fi­cials iden­tify man be­lieved to have paid Or­tiz hit­men

The Saline Courier - - SPORTS -

SANTO DOMINGO, Do­mini­can Repub­lic — Do­mini­can au­thor­i­ties on Mon­day iden­ti­fied the man they be­lieve paid hit men to try and kill David Or­tiz, adding that they were clos­ing in on the mas­ter­mind and mo­tive be­hind the shoot­ing of the fa­mous slug­ger who is re­cov­er­ing at a hospi­tal in Bos­ton.

The man was iden­ti­fied as Al­berto Miguel Ro­dríguez Mota, whom au­thor­i­ties say is a fugi­tive. The an­nounce­ment was made as a judge held a hear­ing closed to the pub­lic for an­other sus­pect nick­named “Bone.” Of­fi­cials did not re­lease de­tails, but ac­cord­ing to court doc­u­ments ob­tained by The As­so­ci­ated Press, the man, whose real name is Gabriel Alexán­der Pérez Viz­caíno, is ac­cused of be­ing the li­ai­son between the al­leged hit men and the per­son who paid them.

The doc­u­ments state that a man who is in prison for an un­re­lated case reached out to Pérez for the al­leged job a week be­fore the June 9 shoot­ing at a bar in Santo Domingo and sent him a pic­ture of the tar­get so he could share it with the hit men.

Pérez al­legedly shared the pic­ture with the other suspects as they gath­ered at a nearby gas sta­tion just min­utes be­fore the shoot­ing. Of­fi­cials have not said whether the pic­ture was of Or­tiz.

The doc­u­ments also state that Pérez sold a gold-col­ored iphone 6 used to plan the at­tack to a woman for $180 so he could get rid of the ev­i­dence a day af­ter the shoot­ing. Au­thor­i­ties claimed the phone was giv­ing him prob­lems and that’s why he sold it.

“He did this upon find­ing out that po­lice were look­ing for him,” the doc­u­ment states.

An at­tor­ney for Pérez did not com­ment upon leav­ing the court­room af­ter the hear­ing as po­lice whisked away the sus­pect, who was wear­ing a red T-shirt, a flak jacket and a hel­met. He did not speak to re­porters.

The 24-year-old sus­pect is one of 10 that au­thor­i­ties have de­tained, and they are look­ing for at least two oth­ers mentioned in the court doc­u­ments, in­clud­ing the man ac­cused of pay­ing the al­leged hit men.

Or­tiz’s at­tor­ney, José Martínez Hoe­pel­man, said he was sat­is­fied with how the in­ves­ti­ga­tion was go­ing.

“Trust the au­thor­i­ties,” he said. “They have worked tire­lessly to ob­tain the re­sults that we have so far. We all want more in­for­ma­tion, but we have to wait.”

Po­lice have said the co­or­di­na­tor of the at­tack was of­fered 400,000 Do­mini­can pe­sos, or about $7,800, to or­ches­trate the shoot­ing of Or­tiz, known as Big Papi.

He led the Red Sox to three World Se­ries cham­pi­onships, was a 10-time All-star and hit 541 home runs.

Or­tiz lives in Bos­ton but vis­its the Do­mini­can Repub­lic sev­eral times a year.

Doc­tors re­moved his gall­blad­der and part of his in­testines be­fore he was flown to Bos­ton, where he re­mains in in­ten­sive care at Mas­sachusetts Gen­eral Hospi­tal.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.