A TASTE FOR ACORNS?

EQUUS - - Eq Handson -

Any pad­dock graced with an oak tree will likely be lit­tered with acorns dur­ing the au­tumn months. Horses may ac­ci­den­tally eat them, and some may even de­velop a taste for them—how much should you worry?

Acorns are toxic to horses, and when con­sumed in large enough quan­ti­ties they can cause prob­lems rang­ing from di­ar­rhea to colic to kid­ney fail­ure. Acorns are not, how­ever, as toxic as some plants, and many horses seem to have no re­ac­tion to them, even af­ter eat­ing large quan­ti­ties.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.