Roasted Tomato Strata
Makes 6 servings Prep 15 minutes Bake at 400° for 1 hour and at 350° for 25 minutes Let stand 10 minutes
6 large Roma tomatoes, cored and
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1 loaf (8 oz) Italian bread
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp chopped rosemary
1 tsp chopped thyme
2 cups half-and-half
5 large eggs
1 cup grated Gruyère cheese 1 tbsp tomato paste
Heat oven to 400°. Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with unsalted butter.
• On a foil-covered rimmed baking sheet, toss tomatoes with oil and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Roast 1 hour, turning halfway through.
• Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Spread in an even layer on another rimmed baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, then cool to room temperature.
• Meanwhile, combine herbs. In a large bowl, whisk half-andhalf, eggs, Gruyère, tomato paste, 2 tbsp herb mixture, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
• Transfer cooled bread to egg mixture and let soak about 30 minutes or until tomatoes are done, stirring occasionally. When tomatoes are done, lower oven temp to 350°.
• Stir half the tomatoes into bread mixture; pour into prepared baking dish. Press remaining tomatoes on top.
• Bake 25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, sprinkle with remaining herb mixture and serve warm.
PER SERVING 378 Cal • 23 g Fat (10 g Sat) • 17 g Pro • 25 g Carb • 6g Sugars • 1g Fiber • 836 mg Sodium