5. CIRCULAR-LOOM WOVEN TRIVETS
We like bright, bold, and chunky yarn for a modern look.
What You’ll Need
8-in. embroidery hoop String Chunky yarn Felt Fabric glue Parchment paper Leather trim
1. Separate the two halves of the embroidery hoop. Tie 8 pieces of string onto the inner hoop so they cross and make a starburst. Place the outer hoop back over the inner and tighten.
2. Using the yarn, and starting in the center, bring yarn over the first string and under the next. Continue weaving in the round, changing colors every few rows. When you change colors, leave a 1-in. tail in the back. Continue weaving, pushing yarn toward the center to avoid gaps, until you reach the edge of the hoop.
3. Place the finished hoop on a piece of felt. Trace and cut out.
4. Use fabric glue to secure the felt to the back of the weaving, tucking in loose ends. Place a piece of parchment paper and a heavy book on top so that the felt adheres evenly. Let dry.
5. Remove the outer hoop. Cut the weaving off the inner hoop; trim excess string and felt. Finish by gluing on a loop of leather trim.