Craft your own holiday décor with these DIY painted sign projects. BUFFALO PRINT Deer Head Sign
NOTHING SPREADS HOLIDAY CHEER QUITE LIKE A CHRISTMAS GREETING. Spread these good tidings to your guests by creating a piece of holiday décor to display on your wall or table! Wooden signs are a popular holiday feature, but they can get pretty pricey. Here are a few signs you can make yourself to add a personal touch to your interiors and save a little money.
What You’ll Need:
• Americana Decor® Chalky Finish™ Paint
• Carbon (ADC29)
• Rouge (ADC07)
• Flat brush
• Painter’s tape
• Silhouette electronic cutting machine (or handmade or store-bought stencil)
• Wooden sign
• Deer head stencil
What You’ll Do:
1. Cut out the pattern using your cutting machine or make one yourself by printing out your pattern or shape from your computer and cutting along the lines.
2. Paint the inside of the whole stencil with the Rouge paint and let it dry.
3. Apply painter’s tape in horizontal strips, spacing them evenly down the stencil.
4. Create the first darker check color by combining Rouge with a bit of Carbon (this will be your lightest mixed shade). Paint the non-taped areas of the stencil and let them dry. Then remove the tape.
5. Apply painter’s tape again, in even vertical strips this time.
6. Using the same method as before, mix your second check color, adding a bit more Carbon to the Rouge for a darker shade. Paint the non-taped areas within the stencil and let them dry (do not remove the tape this time).
7. Reapply the horizontal tape in the same position as before, only this time, you’ll apply it directly on top of the vertical tape.
Use Carbon to paint inside the squares and let it dry.
8. Carefully remove the tape and lightly sand the top to get a distressed look.