Flying - - TAKING WING -

The FAA rule says that by 2020, U.S.-reg­is­tered air­craft must carry com­pli­ant ADS-B Out equip­ment to fly in Class A, B (and Mode C veil) and C, plus Class E airspace above 10,000 feet but not be­low 2,500 feet (i.e., in the moun­tains out West). So, in gen­eral you’ll need ADS-B Out most of the places you need a Mode C transpon­der to­day, and if you aren’t buy­ing a new ADS-B transpon­der, you’ll need to keep your old Mode C transpon­der be­cause radar will con­tinue to be the backup for ADS-B. That leaves lots of places where ADS-B Out avion­ics won’t be re­quired — in­clud­ing many Class D air­ports with con­trol tow­ers — but if you do any sort of long-dis­tance trans­porta­tion fly­ing you’d bet­ter plan on up­grad­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.