Fried Pickles With Harissa Mayonnaise
Yields about 45 pieces
1 cup cornmeal
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon smoked (or regular) paprika 1 egg white
1 24-ounce jar dill pickle chips (round slices) or 6 whole dill pickles cut into ¼ -inch rounds
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup harissa (mild or spicy)
1. Heat oven to 425˚ F. Place a rimmed sheet pan in oven to preheat.
2. In a gallon-size plastic zip-top bag, combine corn meal, salt, garlic powder and paprika.
3. Whisk egg white in clean, dry metal bowl until stiff peaks form.
4. Pat pickle slices dry with paper towel, put in bowl with egg white and stir to coat.
5. Brushing off excess egg white, place pickle slices in bag with cornmeal mixture. Seal bag and toss to coat.
6. Carefully remove heated pan from oven, pour in enough olive oil to create a thin layer, and lay pickles in a single layer on top of the oil. Return to oven and cook for 8 minutes. Remove pan from oven, turn pickles over with a spatula and cook for 8 more minutes.
7. Combine mayonnaise and harissa in a small bowl.
8. Using a spatula, gently transfer pickle slices to a platter and serve with harissa mayonnaise.