WBC sus­pends Whyte’s sta­tus as in­terim world heavy­weight cham­pion

Global Times US Edition - - SPORTS -

Bri­tish boxer Dil­lian Whyte’s sta­tus as in­terim world heavy­weight cham­pion and manda­tory chal­lenger to Deon­tay Wilder has been pro­vi­sion­ally sus­pended by the WBC fol­low­ing an “ad­verse” drugs find­ing.

The 31-year-old Ja­maica-born boxer re­turned the pos­i­tive test three days be­fore his fight against Colom­bian Os­car Ri­vas at Lon­don’s O2 Arena on July 20 but was cleared to fight af­ter at­tend­ing an in­de­pen­dent panel hear­ing.

Whyte, who beat Ri­vas on points, served a dop­ing sus­pen­sion be­tween 2012 and 2014 for a pre­vi­ous of­fense.

He said be­fore the WBC de­ci­sion that he was “dis­ap­pointed with the rub­bish” said about him but if his B sam­ple tests pos­i­tive he faces a po­ten­tial ca­reerend­ing ban.

“A sam­ple UKAD [UK Anti-dop­ing] col­lected from Mr Dil­lian Whyte in re­la­tion with his bout against Os­car Ri­vas yielded an ad­verse find­ing,” the WBC said in a state­ment.

“In light of that ad­verse find­ing, and pend­ing the out­come of the WBC’S own in­ves­ti­ga­tion and ad­ju­di­ca­tory process, the WBC is pro­vi­sion­ally sus­pend­ing the WBC’S recog­ni­tion of Dil­lian Whyte as WBC in­terim world heavy­weight cham­pion and manda­tory chal­lenger of the di­vi­sion.”

Whyte would have the op­por­tu­nity to present his case at an in­ves­tiga­tive hear­ing, the WBC said.

Whyte’s pro­moter Ed­die Hearn said last week the boxer was “ab­so­lutely bro­ken.”

Since his come­back, Whyte has fought 18 times, los­ing only once to com­pa­triot and for­mer world heavy­weight cham­pion An­thony Joshua in 2015.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.