Good Housekeeping (USA)
LEMONY CHICKEN + RICE SOUP
Active 25 min. | Total 45 min.
1 medium onion, quartered
1 leek, white and light green parts only, cut into 1-in. pieces
1 stalk celery, cut into 1-in. pieces
3 Tbsp low-sodium chicken bouillon base (we used Better Than Bouillon)
1 bone-in chicken breast (about 21/2 lbs), split
1 small sprig fresh oregano
1/4 small bunch dill, plus sprigs for serving
1/2 cup long-grain white rice
2 large eggs
6 Tbsp fresh lemon juice Cracked pepper, for serving
1. In large pot, combine onion, leek, celery and bouillon with 10 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add chicken, oregano and dill and simmer until chicken is just cooked through, 15 to 20 min.
2. Transfer chicken to bowl and, when cool enough to handle, shred meat, discarding skin and bones.
3. Strain liquid and return it to pot. Add rice and simmer 12 min.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl, whisk together eggs and lemon juice until combined and foamy.
5. Ladle 1 cup hot broth off top of soup into measuring cup. Slowly whisk broth, 1 Tbsp at a time, into egg mixture. Then, whisking constantly, gradually add this egg broth mixture to the pot. Simmer until soup is slightly thickened and velvety and rice is tender, about 5 min. Remove from heat; stir in shredded chicken. Serve topped with dill and pepper.
SERVES 4 About 440 cal, 13 g fat (3.5 g sat), 52 g pro, 1,260 mg sodium, 26 g carb, 0 g fiber