Bris­tol man charged in slay­ing of teen

Wil­liam Moore al­legedly re­turned to apart­ment where he was robbed, shot Hartford 17-year-old

Hartford Courant - - Front Page - By Nicholas Rondi­none nrondi­[email protected]

HARTFORD – Re­turn­ing to the Park Street apart­ment build­ing where he was robbed this sum­mer, Wil­liam Moore ad­mit­ted he opened fire, know­ing the thieves lived there, records show. A 17-year-old boy vis­it­ing friends was fa­tally shot.

“The wrong place at the wrong time” was how Kar­lonzo Tay­lor’s fa­ther de­scribed Wed­nes­day’s shoot­ing. The teen got out of school early and was with friends in the apart­ment build­ing, a block or so away from his home. “He got out early and that was it,” Den­ley Tay­lor, the fa­ther, said.

In a brief ap­pear­ance Fri­day in Su­pe­rior Court in Hartford, Moore, 24, was or­dered held on $1.5 mil­lion bail and re­quired to sub­mit to a men­tal health eval­u­a­tion. Moore’s mother, Te­ne­sha Lee, said her son suf­fers from para­noid schizophre­nia. “He needs help,” she said.

Moore was charged with mur­der, first­de­gree as­sault and crim­i­nal pos­ses­sion of a firearm. A sec­ond 17-year-old boy was hurt

in the shoot­ing, but is re­cov­er­ing, po­lice said.

“The al­le­ga­tions are as se­ri­ous as they come,” Judge Ann E. Lynch said.

Moore was taken into cus­tody at his Bris­tol apart­ment Thurs­day, less than 24 hours after the shoot­ing. An ar­rest war­rant af­fi­davit shows he was found with a 9 mm hand­gun.

“The ev­i­dence here is very strong,” Pros­e­cu­tor Jesse Gid­dings said at Fri­day’s ap­pear­ance. Ask­ing for a lower bail, Moore’s at­tor­ney, Dean Velodato, said his client suf­fered from se­ri­ous men­tal health is­sues and had no means to post bond.

The min­utes­long ap­pear­ance ended with Moore ex­chang­ing hasty good­byes with his fam­ily. As Moore left the court­room, a per­son in the gallery shouted: “Say good­bye to the boy you killed.”

De­tec­tives first iden­ti­fied Moore as a sus­pect after speak­ing to a third per­son who was on the sec­ond-floor land­ing where the shoot­ing hap­pened. The wit­ness, who was not in­jured, told in­ves­ti­ga­tors Moore walked up to the sec­ond floor, clutch­ing a gun. Then he started fir­ing.

Re­view­ing a photo lineup, the wit­ness re­ported know­ing Moore for most his life and was “100 per­cent sure” he was the shooter after see­ing his pic­ture, the af­fi­davit for Moore’s ar­rest reads.

Po­lice tracked down Moore us­ing a cell­phone number he gave after re­port­ing the sum­mer rob­bery. He was brought in for an in­ter­view and con­fessed to the shoot­ing, ac­cord­ing to the af­fi­davit.

Moore told in­ves­ti­ga­tors he had been robbed by peo­ple in that apart­ment build­ing in Au­gust and they had threat­ened him and his fam­ily since, ac­cord­ing to the af­fi­davit. Moore said he was drove there Wed­nes­day, went in­side about 1:30 p.m., walked up to the nar­row sec­ond-floor land­ing and opened fired.

He then left the apart­ment build­ing, got in the car and went back to Bris­tol, Moore told in­ves­ti­ga­tors. He said the gun they found him with was the one he shot in the apart­ment build­ing. De­tec­tives re­ported find­ing six shell cas­ings on the sec­ond floor.

An­other teen, Dariyan Hil­son, was charged with rob­bing Moore in Au­gust, records show. Moore told in­ves­ti­ga­tors he knew the peo­ple who robbed him lived in the build­ing, but po­lice said nei­ther Kar­lonzo Tay­lor, nor the other vic­tim, lived there.

Lee re­mem­bers driv­ing her son to the Park Street build­ing over the sum­mer when he was robbed of money and jew­elry.

“I don’t know about how ev­ery­thing else tran­spired, but this is all where it started from,” Lee said. She knew the kids who robbed her son, but Tay­lor wasn’t among them. “It wasn’t him. It wasn’t him at all. I know ex­actly who did it,” Lee said.

Kar­lonzo Tay­lor’s fam­ily said the teen was not the in­tended tar­get.

“He didn’t have prob­lems with any­one,” said Den­ley Tay­lor, who was joined in court by more of Kar­lonzo Tay­lor’s fam­ily on Fri­day.

Kar­lonzo Tay­lor was re­mem­bered by fam­ily, friends and ed­u­ca­tors as a peace­ful teen fin­ish­ing a promis­ing se­nior year of high school. At a gath­er­ing Thurs­day night, one friend said Kar­lonzo Tay­lor “brought the peace.”

“He was the best kid … he didn’t an­swer you back. He lis­tened to any­thing you said. He cares about ev­ery­body,” Den­ley Tay­lor said. “He never caused a prob­lem with any­one.”


Wil­liam Moore, sus­pected of killing 17-year-old Kar­lonzo Tay­lor, is ar­raigned in Hartford Su­pe­rior Court on Fri­day on charges of mur­der, first-de­gree as­sault and crim­i­nal pos­ses­sion of a firearm. Tay­lor was shot in a Park Street apart­ment build­ing on Wed­nes­day.


“Bill's al­ways had men­tal is­sues. He's never nor­mal,” says Te­ne­sha Lee, about her son Wil­liam Moore, who she says suf­fers from schizophre­nia. Moore was charged with fa­tally shoot­ing 17-year-old Kar­lonzo Tay­lor.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.