Trumbull No. 1 in state, Windsor tops area girls basketball ratings
Trumbull is No. 1 in the state in the second week of The Courant’s girls basketball rankings, and New London and Norwalk are holding steady at 2 and 3. Windsor is still No. 1 in the area and will face Berlin on Tuesday.
The area rankings saw some movement and new teams added as Cromwell jumped up to No. 3 and St. Paul and Mercy entered at No. 4 and No. 5.
St. Paul had an impressive victory over Watertown on Friday as two of the top teams in the NVL faced each other, and Mercy handed Hamden its first loss after losing to Hamden in the season opener. No. 9 Sheehan will face No. 10 Newington on Monday.
1. TRUMBULL (10-0): Trumbull picked up a 61-30 victory over McMahon and a low-scoring 36-25 win over Staples last week and will face Fairfield Ludlowe, on a six-game winning streak, Monday. Last week: 1.
2. NEWLONDON(9-1): New London beat Fitch, Woodstock Academy and Stonington last week and will face Waterford Friday. LW: 2
3. NORWALK (10-0): Norwalk defeated Westhill, Trinity Catholic and Bassick, all handily, last week. LW: 4.
4. HAMDEN (7-1): After beating defending Class LL champion Mercy to open the season, Hamden suffered its first loss — to Mercy, 49-46 — last week. LW: 3
5. EAST HAVEN (7-2): Defeated Hand in a close game, 59-53, last week. The Yellowjackets have a date with No. 4 Hamden on Jan. 23. LW: 5.
6. NOTRE DAME- FAIRFIELD (8-1): The Lancers had a close game against Canton Jan. 5 and had another one to end the week, with a 71-66 overtime victory over Pomperaug. LW: 6.
7. NEWTOWN (9-1): The Nighthawks are on a seven-game winning streak and will travel to No. 6 Notre Dame-Fairfield on Friday. LW: 7.
8. WINDSOR (11-1): The Warriors, winners of five straight after a 48-32 win over Northwest Catholic, will face Berlin (9-2) on Tuesday. LW: 8.
9. BACON ACADEMY (9-2): The Bobcats lost a tough one, 56-55, to East Lyme on Tuesday and will face NFA, which beat East Lyme 57-45 last week, on Friday. LW: 10.
10. CROMWELL (8-2): Big week coming up for Cromwell, which has to play Coginchaug, last year’s Class S champion, which scored 90 points in Friday’s win over Old Saybrook, on Wednesday and then undefeated East Hampton (which beat Coginchaug on Jan. 4) on Friday. LW: NR.
1. WINDSOR (11-1): Last week: 1
2. BACON ACADEMY (9-2): LW: 2.
3. CROMWELL (8-2): LW: 7.
4. ST. PAUL (9-2): Looked very good in a 63-34 blowout of Water- town when two of the top NVL teams faced each other Friday. LW: NR.
5. MERCY (5-4): Enters the area top 10 after handing Hamdenits first loss last week. Seems like the Tigers are hitting their stride, and they will play Sheehan on Wednesday. LW: NR
6. E.O. SMITH (8-1): Struggled at Enfield, which has only won two games this season, eking out a 52-51 OT win last week. LW: 4.
7. CANTON (8-1): Beat Granby, Coventry and Avon last week and will face SMSA on Monday in an important NCCC matchup. LW: 5.
8. EAST HAMPTON (9-0): The Bellringers eked out a 32-30 win over Old Lyme last week and have a big week coming up with Westbrook and Cromwell on the schedule. LW: 9
9. SHEEHAN (7-1): Had a quality win over Hillhouse (47-45) last week, but it doesn’t get easier. Sheehan has a game with Newington on Monday, which the Titans beat by a point on Dec. 28, then a date with Mercy on Wednesday. LW: NR.
10. NEWINGTON (10-1): Had a good win over Wethersfield last week, 5550. Only loss was to Sheehan, which the Indians will play Monday. LW: NR.
Lori Riley can be reached at lri[email protected]
Canton and coach Brian Medeiros, shown at a game last season, are ranked No. 7 in the area and will play a key NCCC game against SMSA on Monday.