Light­ning strike sparks fire in chef ’s home

Houston Chronicle Sunday - - CITY | STATE -

A Mid­town home owned by a high-pro­file restau­rant owner caught fire af­ter be­ing struck by light­ning dur­ing a storm Fri­day night, the Hous­ton Fire Depart­ment said.

Of­fi­cials said mul­ti­ple peo­ple, in­clud­ing four chil­dren, were in­side the two-story home, owned by Bryan and Jen­nifer Caswell. Light­ning struck it around 11:30 p.m. and started a small fire in the at­tic.

“It went in through the roof and just spi­dered through the elec­tric­ity,” Bryan Caswell said.

No one was in­jured, but Caswell said the ceil­ing now has a large hole. He and his wife were at Reef, the nearby restau­rant they own, when they got a call from their nanny about the fire.

Caswell said that, upon ar­riv­ing, he ran up­stairs, where he “couldn’t see my hand from my face” due to heavy smoke.

The cou­ple said they are still in the mid­dle of re­hab­bing their restau­rant af­ter it was dam­aged by Hur­ri­cane Har­vey.

“Now it’s flooded and this one’s on fire,” Jen­nifer Caswell said. “We’ve got all the el­e­ments. So fun.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.