Jeep News & Rumors
• The new Ultimate Dana 44 AdvanTEK axles are a joint effort between Dana and Mopar/Jeep Performance Parts for the ’18 Jeep Wrangler. What you get includes chromoly 4340 axleshafts, upgraded 1410 U-joints, high-clearance carrier (netting more ground clearance to the tune of a 1⁄2 inch), nodular-iron diff cover, six gear ratio options for the front axle (3.73, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, and 5.38), and seven for the rear (3.45, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, and 5.38). Plus, it’s a direct bolt-in. Get all the details at mopar.com or spicerparts.com.
• By the time you read this, we should have the official name for the new Jeep pickup. Stay tuned on the edge of your seat.
• Stay tuned on the edge of your seat over this, too: rumors of an upcoming inline six-cylinder.
• The winner of the 4x4/SUV of the Year SEMA Award is never a surprise if you base that on the last nine SEMA Awards. As in, the Jeep Wrangler has won that category every time, and it’s the only vehicle to win since the inception of the award in 2010.
• Jeep Grand Cherokee: seven consecutive wins of the midsize luxury SUV category at the Texas Truck Rodeo. The Wrangler took home both off-road SUV of Texas (the Rubicon) and midsize SUV of Texas at the same event.
• Want to win a modified Jeep? Of course you do. California Four Wheel Drive Association (Cal4Wheel) will be raffling off an ’18 Wrangler Sport JL that’ll have aftermarket add-ons such as rock rails, bumpers, skidplates, 31⁄2 -inch suspension lift, custom shocks, and more. February 16, 2019, is the date the winning ticket will be drawn. There will also be runner-up prizes. Net proceeds will be used to help keep public lands open. Go here for info and rules: cal4wheel.com/ win-a-jeep. You can afford this ticket.
• The Jeep Wrangler scored the title of Highest Resale Value Compact SUV in the ’18 J.D. Power Resale Value Awards. • More win: It’s the 24th year in a row that Strategic Vision has published the Total Quality Impact report, which it described as being “based on results from the New Vehicle Experience Study surveying over 44,000 July– December new vehicle buyers after the first 90 days of ownership. It incorporates the impact of problems with the vehicle as well as the drivers’ analytical and emotional evaluations of quality.” Guess who got emotional over the ’19 Jeep Renegade? Enough of those buyers to help it win the entry SUV category.
• Spotted: Steve McQueen’s ’45 Willys MB on silverstoneauctions.com (bit.ly/2AoY1yS). “The original blue Californian license plates are also included in the sale and are dated for road use until 31st October 1980 indicating the Jeep was available for use right up until Steve McQueen passed away only a week later.” It had been sold in 1984 at the actor’s estate sale.