Twisted- Cording Instructions
• Embroidery floss, pearl cotton or other fiber to complement stitchery. Note: To determine amount needed, see step 1. Refer to ornament color code for specific color and fiber used. • Mini cording drill
Note: Cording can be made by one person; however, the procedure can be awkward at times, especially when dealing with long lengths of floss— an extra set of hands is always helpful.
1. To determine the amount of floss needed, multiply by three the desired length of the cording, making sure to include any length needed for hangers when finishing ornaments. Place all lengths of floss together, and tie a knot in each end.
2. Slip one knotted end of floss onto hook of cording drill. Slip other knotted end over a small knob. Pull drill so that floss is taut. Operate drill in a forward direction. Floss will begin to twist. Continue twisting until floss is very tightly twisted and is about to twist up on itself.
3. Carefully remove knotted end from drill hook, being extremely careful not to let go of end and keeping twisted floss taut. Place hook of cording drill in center of length of twisted floss, and place knotted end on knob, still keeping floss taut. Operate drill in a reverse direction until desired twist for cording is achieved. Remove drill. Remove ends from knob, and secure with another knot. Pillow With Piping Finishing Instructions
• Coordinated fabric for backing • 1/2"-wide bias tape maxi piping • Pillow form or polyester fiberfill
1. Press stitched piece from reverse side, straightening as much as possible. Centering stitched design area, trim stitched piece to desired size. Pin piping to the front of stitched piece, aligning edges on all sides. Trim piping as needed.
2. Pin backing fabric to stitched piece right sides together. Sew together, stitching as close to piping as possible and leaving 4" opening for turning and stuffing.
3. Turn pillow right side out and press seams. Stuff pillow with fiberfill or pillow form. Using a hand-sewing needle and thread, blind-stitch opening closed. Flat-Ornament Finishing Instructions
• Padded mounting board • Fabric-marking pencil • Straight pins • Sewing machine (optional)
1. Measure desired distance (1/8"–1") from stitching on all sides and draw a line this distance from edge of design all around, staying on grain line of fabric when possible. Do not cut fabric. Place ornament over a piece of backing fabric (right sides together) and pin layers together along edge of stitching.
2. Sew around ornament along drawn line, leaving bottom of ornament open. Trim layers to seam allowances of 1/4". Trim corners to seam allowances of 1/8". Turn ornament to right side.
3. Using ornament as a pattern, cut mounting board. Insert mounting board into ornament and sew opening closed.
4. Attach trim and hanger.