Dead cats source of bad smell in high school
Two St. Francis Catholic High School teachers were transported to the hospital Thursday morning after being exposed to fumes from containers storing dead cats preserved in formaldehyde.
Sacramento firefighters responded at about 10 a.m. to a 911 call about a suspected gas leak at the East Sacramento school, said fire department spokesman Capt. Keith Wade.
Wade said there were reports of an “unpleasant smell.”
Kevin Eckery, spokesman for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sacramento, said the teachers were taken to the hospital out of “an abundance of caution,” and no update on their condition was immediately available.
Pacific Gas and Electric technicians investigated the school and discovered the preserved cats were the source of the smell, Wade said. The containers, stored in a lab, became warm because they were near a heater, increasing the odor of the formaldehyde, Wade said.
The cats are used for dissections in a biology class, said Eckery.