Marisnick suspended 2 games for violent collision
ARLINGTON, Texas — Houston Astros outfielder Jake Marisnick was suspended two games and fined an undisclosed amount for a home plate collision with Los Angeles Angles catcher Jonathan Lucroy on Sunday.
“Obviously, I still feel terrible about it,” Marisnick said. “I know deep down in my heart that I had no intent to hurt or make contact with him.”
Chief Baseball Officer of MLB Joe Torre said he didn’t think Marisnick intended to injured Lucroy.
“After thoroughly reviewing the play from all angles, I have concluded that Jake’s actions warrant discipline,” Torre said in a release. “While I do not believe that Jake intended to injure Jonathan, the contact he initiated in his attempt to score violated (the rules), which is designed to protect catchers from precisely this type of collision.”
Lucroy left the game on a cart and taken to a Houston hospital. He suffered a concussion and fractured nose.
Marisnick is appealing the suspension. He was not in the lineup Thursday night against the Texas Rangers as the teams begin a four-game series at Globe Life Park.
Durant forced Warriors to give the Nets 1st-round pick
After deciding to leave the Golden State Warriors for the Nets in free agency last week, Kevin Durant was apparently in no mood to deliver a parting gift to his former team. He reportedly wouldn’t agree to the sign-and-trade deal that sent D’Angelo Russell to Golden State unless the Warriors also gave up a first-round pick.
Durant didn’t believe the Warriors were sacrificing enough in a straight up deal for Russell, so multiple sources told ESPN’s Brian Windhorst that Durant insisted his new team also receive a draft choice.
To be fair to Durant, there was no incentive for him to agree to a sign-and-trade since the Brooklyn Nets had ample cap room to sign both him and Kyrie Irving. Any trade with the Warriors would only benefit Golden State and Russell, who was able to receive a max contract that may not have otherwise been available via his two biggest free-agent suitors, the Los Angeles Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves.
Durant, who took nearly $10 million less in his second contract with the Warriors two years ago to help them keep both Andre Iguodala and Shaun Livingston, was under no obligation to do Golden State any more favors.
With no other avenue to receive any compensation for Durant, the Warriors were left with no choice but to surrender their top pick next season. And more.
The Nets and Durant were able to squeeze even more out of the deal when they offloaded the combined $3.6 million contracts of Shabazz Napier and Treveon Graham to the Warriors. Dumping those contracts gave the Nets cap room to sign free-agent center DeAndre Jordan, a close friend of Durant’s.
Dolphins’ Norton at fault for accident that cost him his left arm, report says
Miami Dolphins player Kendrick Norton was at fault for a two-car accident last week that resulted in the amputation of his left arm, ending his football career, according to a Thursday crash report from the Florida Highway Patrol.
Norton was issued a citation for an improper lane change of his 2017 Ford F250, which crashed into the right side of a 2015 Maserati before it slammed into a concrete barrier and overturned onto its roof.
While no tests for alcohol or other drugs were administered, investigators determined Norton and his passenger, a 34-year-old woman named Shakir Williams, were not suspected of alcohol or drug use.
Norton and Williams, however, were not wearing seatbelts during the incident, which occurred around 1:18 a.m. on July 4 on the Dolphin Expressway (State Road 836) westbound ramp, leading to the Palmetto Expressway (State Road 826).
Former Red Sox slugger David Ortiz has third surgery after complications
Surgeons operated for a third time on future baseball Hall of Famer David Ortiz after unexpected health woes arose more than a month after he survived a Dominican Republic murder try, his wife announced Thursday.
“Earlier this week, David underwent a third surgery for complications resulting from his gunshot wound,” said a statement from Tiffany Ortiz. “David is recovering well and is in good spirits.
“We continue to be incredibly appreciative of the kindness and compassion shown to David and to our entire family during his difficult time.”
Ortiz, 43, was shot once in the back at point-blank range by a lone shooter in what authorities later said was a case of mistaken identity. The gunman was one of 14 suspects arrested by police in the Dominican Republic, where Ortiz was critically wounded on June 9 while sitting in an outdoor cafe.
Dominican doctors performed emergency surgery on Ortiz before the slugger known as Big Papi was airlifted to Massachusetts General Hospital for a second operation. Ortiz, who lost his gall bladder and part of his intestine in the shooting aftermath, remains in the Boston hospital more than a month after his arrival.