Troy Tulowitzki announces retirement from MLB
Troy Tulowitzki is calling it a career. The former All-Star shortstop announced his retirement Thursday afternoon in a statement released through the New York Yankees.
Tulowitzki, 34, appeared in five games this season for the Yankees before landing on the injured list.
“For as long as I can remember, my dream was to compete at the highest level as a Major League Baseball Player,” Tulowitzki said, “to wear a big league uniform and play hard for my teammates and the fans. I will forever be grateful for every day that I’ve had to live out my dream. It has been an absolute honor.”
A five-time All-Star with the Colorado Rockies, Tulowitzki had been plagued by injuries the past two seasons and did not play in 2018 due to heel issues. He was released last winter by the Toronto Blue Jays.
As a Derek Jeter fan growing up in Southern California, Tulowitzki wore No. 2 as a big-leaguer in tribute to the Yankees shortstop.
“I will always look back with tremendous gratitude for having the privilege of playing as long as I did,” Tulowitzki said. “There is no way to truly express my gratitude to the fans of Colorado, Toronto and New York. They always made my family and I feel so welcome.”