Driver in Lodi mur­der gets 15 years to life

Lodi News-Sentinel - - FRONT PAGE - By Wes Bowers NEWS-SENTINEL STAFF WRITER

STOCK­TON — One of four men sus­pected in the mur­der of a Lodi doc­tor will be spend­ing more than a dozen years in pri­son.

Ray­mond Austin Jac­quett, 26, was sen­tenced to 15 years to life in pri­son by Judge Lau­ren Thomas­son in San Joaquin County Su­pe­rior Court Mon­day morn­ing for his role in the 2018 mur­der of Thomas Shock.

Jac­quett was found guilty of sec­ond-de­gree mur­der by a jury in July, and faced 25 years to life in pri­son.

Shock’s wife Nancy read a pre­pared state­ment dur­ing Jac­quett’s sen­tenc­ing, fam­ily friend Marty Wey­bret said.

In ad­di­tion, county vic­tims’ ad­vo­cate Jessica Vanover read state­ments from Shock’s el­dest son Tracy, as well as Shock’s sis­ter Jane Bowse.

Tracy Shock de­scribed in de­tail his fa­ther’s love, his com­mu­nity ser­vice and the care he gave his pa­tients, Wey­bret said.

“When you wake up in your jail cell think­ing about what you did, I want you to know about the man you took from all of us,” the state­ment read.

Au­thor­i­ties said Jac­quett was the get­away driver in the Aug. 1, 2018 mur­der of Shock, a re­tired po­di­a­trist who was shot and killed in the door­way of his River­gate neigh­bor­hood home by three other men. Jac­quett was ar­rested on Sept. 26 in Sacramento, and Robert Elmo Lee, Mal­lory Ste­wart and Christo­pher Costello were ar­rested shortly there­after.

All four men were charged with sus­pi­cion of mur­der, mur­der for fi­nan­cial gain and mur­der with the in­tent to kill while ly­ing in wait.

Ac­cord­ing to a war­rant re­leased by the court last year, Lee’s wife Bon­nie, who died in 2016, had seen Shock for an in­grown toe­nail in 2011. The war­rant re­ferred to a com­plaint filed against Shock to the Cal­i­for­nia Board of Po­di­atric Medicine re­gard­ing his treat­ment of a pa­tient iden­ti­fied by the ini­tials “B.L., and al­leged that Shock’s “sub­stan­dard care” led to part of her foot be­ing am­pu­tated in 2012.

Dur­ing the in­ves­ti­ga­tion into Shock’s death, a lo­cal man told de­tec­tives he knew Lee for years, and that he blamed the doc­tor for his wife’s death.

Lee, 80, told de­tec­tives he was glad Shock was dead, but de­nied in­volve­ment in his mur­der. How­ever, he could not ex­plain how a med­i­cal doc­u­ment and com­plaint against Shock that had been in his pos­ses­sion ended up at the doc­tor’s house the night of his mur­der, the war­rant said.

Lee and Costello, 27, are ex­pected to ap­pear be­fore Thomas­son next Mon­day for a con­fir­ma­tion hear­ing, in which pros­e­cu­tors and de­fense at­tor­neys will de­clare they are ready for a jury trial.

Ste­wart, 28, will ap­pear be­fore Thomas­son on Jan. 10 for jury trial as­sign­ment.

COUR­TESY PHOTO

Dr. Thomas Shock was mur­dered in Lodi in 2018.

JAC­QUETT

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.