Los Angeles Times
LOS ANGELES TIMES JAN. 24, 2016
Fiction weeks on list
1. All the Light We Cannot See by 88 Anthony Doerr (Scribner: $27) A blind French girl and a German teen struggle in occupied France during World War II.
2. Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff 17 (Riverhead: $27.95) Secrets and lies between a husband and wife over a two-decade, seemingly perfect marriage.
3. The Girl on the Train by Paula 51 Hawkins (Riverhead: $26.95) A London commuter is a witness in a woman’s disappearance in this psychological thriller.
4. The Nightingale by Kristin 42 Hannah (St. Martin’s: $27.99) Two sisters embark on different and dangerous paths in German-occupied France during WWII.
5. The Japanese Lover by Isabel 9 Allende (Atria: $28) A Jewish woman in San Francisco has a doomed lifelong affair set amid major crises of the 20th century.
6. A Manual for Cleaning Women by 8 Lucia Berlin (Farrar, Straus & Giroux: $26) A posthumous collection of 43 autobiographical short stories.
7. Purity by Jonathan Franzen 18 (Farrar, Straus & Giroux: $28) A struggling graduate becomes involved in a WikiLeaks-style group run by a charismatic German internet guru.
8. A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara 16 (Doubleday: $30) The ups and downs of the life of a man with a horrific past.
9. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School 10 by Jeff Kinney (Abrams: $13.95) Greg struggles to survive when his town unplugs and goes electronics free.
10. Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham 12 (Doubleday: $28.95) An unorthodox lawyer working out of a van defends riffraff.
Nonfiction 1. The Life-Changing Magic of 57
Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (Ten Speed Press: $16.99) A guru’s guide to decluttering your home and simplifying your life.
2. Between the World and Me by 26 Ta-Nehisi Coates (Spiegel & Grau: $24) The hazards and hopes of black male life.
3. Spark Joy by Marie Kondo (Ten 1 Speed Press: $18.99) An illustrated step-by-step follow up guide to decluttering from the organizational guru.
4. M Train by Patti Smith (Knopf: 15 $25) A collection of vignettes ruminating and reflecting on life, travels, coffee and mortality.
5. Gratitude by Oliver Sacks (Knopf: 6 $17) Essays on coming to terms with his own death by the noted physician who died in 2015.
6. The Notorious RBG by Irin 9 Carmon and Shana Knizhnik (Dey Street: $19.99) The life of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg inspired by a law student’s blog. 7. The Art of Star Wars: The Force 2
Awakens by Phil Szostak (Abrams: $40) Concept sketches, storyboards, paintings and more from Lucasfilm art departments.
8. S.P.Q.R. by Mary Beard 7 (Liveright: $35) A lively new history of the Roman Empire from classicist Mary Beard.
9. Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes 6 (Simon & Schuster: $24.99) The TV producer shares how saying ‘yes’ changed her life. 10. Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli 9
Pirates by Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger (Sentinel: $27.95) The little-known U.S. war against the Barbary pirates in 1801.