Los Angeles Times
Knoll House, 1916, Myron Hunt, Expanded by Gordon Kaufmann Virginia Steele Scott Gallery, 1973, Ladd & Kelsey
2 Oak Knoll Terrace, Pasadena
The Samuel C Fertig House, renamed The Knoll House in 1971 by its new owner, Mrs. Virginia Steele Scott, was originally built in 1916 and designed by preeminent architect Myron Hunt. Originally sited on five lots totaling 10.3 acres, the original residence, was later expanded by leading architect of the time, Gordon B Kaufmann. The property, already architecturally significant for the main Residence, rose to unparalleled prominence in 1973 with the addition of the Virginia Steele Scott Gallery by modernist architects Ladd & Kelsey, designers of the new Pasadena Art Museum (Norton Simon Museum).
Over the course of seven years, the two main structures were comprehensively updated and restored – preserving the 100+ year-old craftsmanship while providing commercial grade systems throughout.