Lawyer expects indictment in Good Samaritan case
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey couple under investigation after a good Samaritan accused them of dipping into some of the $400,000 in online donations they raised for him is likely to be indicted, their attorney said Monday.
Ernest Badway represents Mark D’Amico and Katelyn McClure in a civil case against Johnny Bobbitt.
The attorney said in a letter dated Thursday that one or both could be indicted by the Burlington County prosecutor and that he and his firm would no longer represent the couple in the lawsuit involving Bobbitt.
Badway petitioned Superior Court Judge Paula Dow to pause the civil case in a letter Thursday, the same day authorities raided the couple’s home .
The letter came to light Monday when Dow granted the stay in the civil case until December.
“(Since) it is expected that one or both of the defendants will likely be indicted, my firm and I will no longer be able to continue our representation of them in this matter,” Badway wrote.
He declined Monday to comment further. It’s unclear if he will represent D’Amico and McClure in a possible criminal proceeding.
Burlington County Prosecutor Scott Coffina last week confirmed the criminal investigation into the couple, citing the “enormous” public interest in the case, though no charges have been brought.
The prosecutor’s office declined to comment on Badway’s letter, but pointed out no charges have been filed.
D’Amico and McClure have earlier denied wrongdoing or misusing the cash, which was raised on GoFundMe from 14,000 contributors.
Bobbitt sued the couple over mismanagement of the funds, and Dow had ordered sworn statements to determine what happened to the cash, which attorneys say is all gone.