Outdoor clothing companies are answering the call for more sustainable materials with upgraded layers that consider production footprint as seriously as performance.
Slip into something that’s comfortable and sustainable.
1. The sustainably built COALATREE EVOLUTION HOODIE is made partly from spent coffee grounds mixed with melteddown plastic bottles to create a soft, water-repellent fabric. Nice details include thumbholes and a kangaroo pouch that turns it into a pillow. $109; coalatree.com
2. Beyond the solid eco bona fides of APPALACHIAN GEAR COMPANY’S ALLPACA CREW, made from 100 percent alpaca yarn responsibly sourced from Peru, the fabric makes a superb insulator—lightweight, packable, breathable, and extremely fast-drying. $153; appalachiangearcompany.com 3. The carbon-conscious JACK WOLFSKIN JWP SHELL is built with 90 percent Bluesign-approved textiles, uses a 100 percent recycled waterproof and stretchy membrane, and is completely Pfc-free. It’s also ultralight, weighing a mere 14 ounces. $130; us.jackwolfskin.com
4. Casual cool that’s ready for adventure plus a build from recycled nylon called Rezion make these PRANA ALAMEDA PANTS ideal for your next wilderness trek. The durable Bluesign-approved stretch fabric has a Pfc-free, water-resistant coating that’s still plenty soft to the touch. $79; prana.com 5. FJÄLLRÄVEN’S new SAMLAREN COLLECTION uses fabrics left over from the production of other garments. This limited-edition hat is made from durable, dense-woven poly-cotton on front and bill, with a lighter cut on top and sides for better breathability. $40; fjallraven.com
6. PATAGONIA’S Regenerative Organic Certified pilot program deindustrializes water- and chemical-intensive cotton production with more holistic Earth- and farmer-friendly practices that reduce (and recapture) carbon—and deliver comfy, versatile cotton goods like the Fair Trade Certified sewn COTTON SNAP SWEATSHIRT. $79; patagonia.com
7. The stylish all-white SALOMON INDEX.01 is 100 percent recyclable, entirely constructed from special TPU blends easily ground up for reuse. And its rockered, nitrogen-infused sole performs well, helping you glide easily over mixed running surfaces. $200; salomon.com