Tur­key in­dicts 20 Saudis in Khashoggi’s killing

Miami Herald - - WORLD -

ISTANBUL

Turk­ish of­fi­cials Wed­nes­day an­nounced the in­dict­ments of 20 Saudi na­tion­als on charges of mur­der and in­cite­ment to mur­der in the killing of the dis­si­dent writer Ja­mal Khashoggi, con­clud­ing their in­ves­ti­ga­tion into the case.

In a state­ment, the Istanbul pros­e­cu­tor’s office said the in­dict­ments, which have yet to be made pub­lic, would show the at­tack had been planned. It said Khashoggi had been stran­gled and dis­mem­bered in a planned mur­der in­side the Saudi Con­sulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, 2018. The same con­clu­sion had been reached by U.S. in­tel­li­gence.

The pros­e­cu­tor’s state­ment said that ar­rest war­rants had been is­sued for the 20 men and “red no­tices” — de­ten­tion re­quests to the world’s gov­ern­ments — is­sued via In­ter­pol for all of them. Doc­u­ments have also been pre­pared to re­quest those in the in­dict­ment be handed over to Tur­key.

But Saudi Ara­bia has not granted Turk­ish in­ves­ti­ga­tors ac­cess to the ac­cused in Saudi Ara­bia and is un­likely to co­op­er­ate in any ex­tra­di­tion. The case is also un­likely to come to trial since none of the men is in the coun­try and Turk­ish law de­mands the pres­ence of the de­fen­dants for a trial.

The killing of Khashoggi, 59, a well-known former Saudi of­fi­cial and writer who be­came a critic of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Sal­man, Saudi Ara­bia’s de facto leader, drew con­dem­na­tion

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.