The Sheep Li­cense Ap­pli­ca­tion

Modern Pioneer - - Bighorn -

To ap­ply for any of the Mon­tana bighorn tags, you must start early. Typ­i­cally, the ap­pli­ca­tion dead­line is around May 1, and the draw­ing is gen­er­ally held about the third week of June. Of course, those dates are sub­ject to change.

In or­der to ap­ply, you must first pur­chase a con­ser­va­tion li­cense, which costs $8 for res­i­dents ($10 for non­res­i­dents). There is also a non-re­fund­able $10 ap­pli­ca­tion fee for res­i­dents ($50 for non­res­i­dents) due with your ap­pli­ca­tion. If you’re suc­cess­ful and draw a per­mit, the li­cense fee is $125 for res­i­dents ($1,250 for non­res­i­dents).

When ap­ply­ing, it’s pos­si­ble to ap­ply for a ram tag as your first choice, then a ewe tag as a se­cond choice. Gen­er­ally, though, your odds of draw­ing a ewe li­cense are bet­ter if you sim­ply ap­ply for the ewe tag as your first choice. And there is also the pos­si­bil­ity of us­ing the depart­ment’s point sys­tem, which in­creases your odds of suc­cess in sub­se­quent years if you fail to draw a li­cense.

“Like most sheep habi­tat, many of the rock faces are closer to ver­ti­cal than hor­i­zon­tal, and are plagued by shell rock that makes stay­ing up­right chal­leng­ing.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.