New York Daily News
Mama Bush key to ‘stop Trump’ bloc
MOMMA SAYS KNOCK Trump out! Jeb Bush is out of the race, but he’s still intent on tripping up his nemesis
Donald Trump — and he has his mother’s permission to do it. A political insider, with close ties to Jeb Bush’s failed presidential campaign, tells us that with his mother’s urging, Jeb finally conceded defeat over the weekend and d will now get behind fellow Floridian n
Marco Rubio. We’re told that the Bush family matriarch gave Jeb two reasons for calling it quits: protecting the Bush dynasty and downing The Donald. “The withdrawal was very much brokered by Barbara Bush,” we’ree told. “They had George W. come out and speak to the crowd in South Carolina. They’d (previously) wheeled No. 41 ( George
H.W. Bush) out to campaign. They knew if they didn’t do well over the weekend, that would be (Jeb’s) last stand.”
Bush’s presidential dream ended Saturday when he finished fourth in the GOP’s South Carolina primary, capturing less that 8% of the vote while Trump ran away with 32.5% of the electorate. And now, we hear that Jeb is throwing his resources behind Rubio, who finished second in South Carolina with 22.5%.
“Their teams are meeting right now,” we’re told. Our insider says that discussion involves Bush pushing his remaining $25-$30 million in super PAC money Rubio’s way in exchange for a possible cabinet position. Our insider also says the Bush family wants to make sure that Jeb’s run doesn’t ruin his 39-year old son George P. Bush’s chances of someday becoming the third Bush to hold the presidency. “This was starting to look like a repudiation of the Bush family,” we’re told. “The next generation is coming up.”
Not since 1928 has the GOP won a presidential election without a Bush or Nixon on the ticket. The Bushes understand the long game.
“You saw George P. Bush giving speeches early on in the Hamptons, but they pulled him back to protect him,” says our insider, referring to an August fund-raiser on Long Island. “He’s the next big hope.”
We’re told that GOP donors are reaching out to all but one of the party’s remaining candidates urging them to get behind the winner — or at least second-place finisher — in next week’s Super Tuesday primary.
“There’s one person they won’t work with and that’s Trump,” we’re told. “But if he (Trump) plays ball nicely, and drops out if he loses, rather than running as a third party candidate, (the party) will let him give a speech at the convention.”
According to our insider: “It’s all about stopping Trump!” Bush reps could not be reached for comment.