Scalded tot’s kin rip eatery

Queens staff took 20 mins. to call EMTs


Work­ers at a Queens Ap­ple­bee’s waited more than 20 min­utes to call 911 af­ter a baby was scalded with pip­ing hot wa­ter dur­ing a fam­ily din­ner, the fam­ily’s lawyer said Wed­nes­day..

Lit­tle 17-month-old Ca­dien Scott Gaffney thought the cup of scorch­ing wa­ter a server placed on the table where he sat with his fam­ily Fri­day was for him, and within sec­onds the steam­ing wa­ter had splashed all over him.

“The baby grabbed for the wa­ter,” said Court­nei Pat­ter­son, 35, a close fam­ily friend. “He thought the wa­ter was for him. He grabbed the glass and the hot wa­ter — the scald­ing hot wa­ter — fell all over his chest, his legs, ev­ery­thing.”

Pat­ter­son said staff at the Rosedale restau­rant rushed to fetch pa­per tow­els and oint­ment, but waited a whop­ping 20 min­utes to call 911, longer than it takes boil a pot of wa­ter.

It wasn’t un­til out­raged pa­trons who wit­nessed the ac­ci­dent spoke up that Ap­ple­bee’s staff fi­nally called the au­thor­i­ties, she said.

“Ev­ery­body was just stand­ing there, look­ing around try­ing to fig­ure out what to do next,” she said. “No one called 911 right away.”

She said paramedics did not come into the restau­rant. The child had to be taken out­side.

Pho­tos of the in­jury show a bright pink patch where the wa­ter hit lit­tle Ca­dien — ap­par­ently sear­ing his top layer of skin away.

Pat­ter­son said no one at Ap­ple­bee’s has con­tacted the fam­ily to ask about the child.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the fam­ily and child dur­ing this dif­fi­cult time. We are very sad­dened about this ac­ci­dent,” Ap­ple­bee’s spokesman Brian Lowe said in a state­ment Wed­nes­day. “The safety and se­cu­rity of our guests is al­ways our top pri­or­ity. We are work­ing closely with au­thor­i­ties and will con­tinue to fully co­op­er­ate with their in­ves­ti­ga­tion.”

Pat­ter­son said Ca­dien has been trau­ma­tized by the in­ci­dent. He can’t de­scribe the pain, but rel­a­tives can see it in his face — and hear it in his lungs.

“This is about to be a long jour­ney for this lit­tle baby,” Pat­ter­son said.

“It’s hard. One minute, he’ll for­get what’s go­ing on. He tries to play, be­cause, you know, there are other chil­dren. The next thing, he’s scream­ing bloody mur­der be­cause he’s in so much pain. It hurts me. It hurts me so bad just to see that baby in that con­di­tion,” Pat­ter­son added.

The fam­ily’s lawyer, San­ford Ruben­stein, said a law­suit is pend­ing.

“The child has suf­fered hor­ri­ble burns,” he said. “Ap­pro­pri­ate ac­tion will be in­sti­tuted against Ap­ple­bee’s for the ac­tions of their em­ploy­ees.”


Ca­dien Scott Gaffney, 17 months old, suf­fered burns at Queens Ap­ple­bee’s when he reached for a cup of steam­ing hot wa­ter Fri­day. Now his fam­ily plans to sue.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.