Prince Charles tests pos­i­tive, ‘self-iso­lat­ing’

New York Daily News - - CORONAVIRU­S OUTBREAK - BY JES­SICA SCHLADEBEC­K AND ROBERT DOMINGUEZ

Keep calm and quar­an­tine.

Bri­tain’s Prince Charles has con­tracted coro­n­avirus, his office said Wed­nes­day.

“The Prince of Wales has tested pos­i­tive for coro­n­avirus,” his Clarence House office said. “He has been dis­play­ing mild symp­toms but oth­er­wise re­mains in good health and has been work­ing from home through­out the last few days as usual.’’

The 71-yearold son of Queen El­iz­a­beth and heir to the throne is cur­rently “self-iso­lat­ing at home in Scot­land,” ac­cord­ing to a spokesman. “It is not pos­si­ble to as­cer­tain from whom the prince caught the virus ow­ing to the high num­ber of en­gage­ments he car­ried out in his pub­lic role dur­ing re­cent weeks.”

The prince’s wife, Camilla, the 72-year-old Duchess of Corn­wall, has also been tested but does not have the virus.

Buck­ing­ham Palace noted tthat he queen also re­mains in “good health.”

The palace last week said the 93-year-old monarch was re­ar­rang­ing her sched­ule “as a sen­si­ble pre­cau­tion” amid the coro­n­avirus out­break.

The queen last saw Charles for a short time fol­low­ing an in­vesti­ture cer­e­mony for pub­lic awards at Buck­ing­ham Palace in Lon­don on March 12. A palace spokes­woman said she was “fol­low­ing all the ap­pro­pri­ate ad­vice with re­gard to her welfare.”

March 12 also marks Charles’ last pub­lic en­gage­ment. He has had a num­ber of pri­vate meet­ings, and par­tic­i­pants at those ses­sions have been made aware of his con­di­tion.

A royal source told CNN that Charles (inset) has spo­ken to the queen and to his sons, Wil­liam and Harry, in the wake of his di­ag­no­sis. Charles has not been to a hospi­tal, the source said Wed­nes­day, ad­ding that he was tested be­cause of his age and med­i­cal his­tory.

As a per­son older than 70, the royal is con­sid­ered to be at higher coro­n­avirus risk than aver­age.

Bri­tish Prime Min­is­ter Boris John­son, af­ter weeks of crit­i­cism his govern­ment has acted too slowly to con­tain the coun­try’s coro­n­avirus out­break, on Mon­day an­nounced a na­tion­wide lock­down man­dat­ing peo­ple stay home and only es­sen­tial busi­nesses re­main open.

“From this evening I must give the Bri­tish peo­ple a very sim­ple in­struc­tion: You must stay at home,” John­son said in a pre­re­corded TV ad­dress.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.