New York Post
A subway terror rap
‘Shooter’ enters plea
The man accused of shooting 10 people on a Brooklyn subway train last month told a judge that he was feeling “pretty good” before pleading not guilty to terrorism and firearms charges Friday.
Frank James, 62, said little else at his arraignment in Brooklyn federal court except to confirm that he understood the charges and his rights and that he was competent enough to move forward with the case.
The Bronx native set off a smoke bomb and sprayed 33 bullets on a Manhattanbound N train on April 12 as it pulled into the 33rd Street station in Sunset Park, authorities allege.
The rampage left 29 people injured, with 10 of them suffering gunshot wounds.
James, who wore a khaki jail outfit and a blue surgical mask hanging off his face, has been hit with two charges — committing a terrorist attack on a mass transit system and firing a gun during a violent crime.
He faces life in prison if convicted.
Judge William Kuntz began the proceeding by asking James how he was feeling, to which the defendant replied, “Pretty good.”
As Kuntz read out the indictment, James looked at him and down at the table in front of him as if reading something.
When Kuntz mentioned that the government could seek forfeiture of his assets in the event of a conviction, James’ eyes grew wide.
At the end of the proceeding, he was remanded into federal custody, where he is being held without bail.
Before the attack, James had posted a series of YouTube videos in which he ranted against Mayor Adams, mental-health care and various ethnic groups.
“Mr. Mayor, I’m a victim of your mental-health program,” he said in one video.
“I’m . . . now full of hate, full of anger and full of bitterness.”
He also criticized Adams on the city’s homelessness.
“Eric Adams, what are you doing, brother? What’s happening with this homeless situation,” he said, referring to the subway.
“Every car I went to was loaded with homeless people. It was so bad, I couldn’t even stand. I had to keep moving from car to car.”