New York Post
City pulls plan for 3 charters
City Schools Chancellor David Banks said Monday that the city will scrap proposals that would have colocated three Success Academy charter schools in publicschool buildings.
Banks said the Department of Education nixed the idea to place two new charters in Queens and one in
The Bronx after receiving backlash from the community.
The city’s top school official said the decision was made after community members complained that the proposals “would create significant challenges for the new schools and the existing co-located schools.”
Banks’ statement comes a day before the Panel for Educational Policy was scheduled to vote on the two Queens schools, according to NY1.
One of the proposals would have placed a Success Academy elementary school at the Catherine and Count Basie MS 72 building, which has two middle and specialeducation campuses in Rochdale Village.
The other Queens charter elementary school would have been placed at the Springfield Gardens Education Campus, which houses multiple high schools. The charter schools were fiercely opposed by United Federation of Teachers CEO Michael Mulgrew.
Success Academy did not return an email and phone call seeking comment.
But Success Academy CEO Eva Moskowitz (inset) previously told NY1 concerns over space in the buildings were nothing more than scare tactics.
Former Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced last April that he’s donating $100 million to Success Academy.