OUT OF THE PAST
Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
April-May 1940: The B&O Railroad was told to remove the light standards from the center of its tracks at Main Street.
Mr. Wirt and George Jackson asked council to drop charges against Samuel Carman, who did considerable property damage while in town jail, if he made restitution. No action taken.
Sixteen street lamps on South College were replaced. Council asked the State Highway Department when the promised new “speed control light” at Routes 2 and 273 would be installed. Office workers Harriet Ferguson, Mary Louise Thomas and Rose Lenhoff were retained in their jobs after the recent election.
New parking ordinance: park only where permitted; not more than 12 inches from the curb; at least 15 feet from fire hydrants; at least 50 feed from an intersection; parallel to traffic. If the driver of any vehicle violating these laws could not be identified, the owner would be liable.
A $3,000 note was paid off. John Dennison received permission to build a garage on his Haines Street property and move his gasoline pumps from Main Street to Haines Street. Harry Bonham received permission to open a new street perpendicular to Main Street, with the street to be named Tyre Avenue. Dr. Musselman received permission to open a new street south of and parallel to West Main Street.
Sewers installation on all new streets must be paid in full by developer upon completion. Nottingham Manor wanted to be annexed into town. All police officers got a $10 per month raise. John Chambers wanted to open a beer parlor. No action was taken.