Newark’s 260th anniv.
Museum to hold Founders Day event
It was 260 years ago this month that British King George II granted permission for a weekly market at the site of what is now the Washington House Condominiums, marking the first formal recognition of that town that became Newark.
On Sunday, the Newark Historical Society will celebrate the city’s anniversary with its annual Newark Founders Day event, set for 2 to 5 p.m. at the museum, which is located at 429 S. College Ave., in the old Newark Train Station. Free parking is available at Lewis Park, Kells Park and Phillips Park, and limited handicapped spaces are available at the museum.
The event not only celebrates the city’s history but also serves as the season opening of the museum. The free museum is closed during the winter, but starting this week, it will be open to the public every Sunday afternoon through November.
The museum will unveil several new exhibits, including one celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Newark Parks and Recreation Department, another looking at life in the 1920s and a display focused on the Newark Arts Alliance. Existing exhibits, such as ones about Newark High School and the University of Delaware, have been revamped.
Sunday’s event will include children’s activities, raffles, a bluegrass performance by the Ferel Hats and a “living postcard” photo opportunity. The Newark Police Department will give demonstrations, and Aetna Hose Hook and Ladder Company’s restored 1926 fire engine will be on display. Food will be available for purchase.
At 2:30 p.m., Mayor Polly Sierer will make a proclamation, and historical society officials will present the organization’s annual ser vice award.