Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
January-April 1941: The balance in the town treasury was $7,934.85. Council approved constructing a storm sewer on Kells Avenue and enlarging a waterway on Wilson Street. The storm sewer on Academy Street was not adequate to handle stormwater from university grounds, but no action was taken.
Rittenhouse Motors requested a permit to build a display room and garage on Academy Street, but there was some discussion because of the ordinance against garages in certain parts of town. At the February meeting, the school PTA spoke against the garage, but a citizens’ group spoke for it.
Lawson Street was designated one-way eastbound with no parking either side. John Chambers was again turned down for permission to build a liquor store. The town office was told to alternate working Washington’s and Lincoln’s birthdays. The sanitary sewer would be extended to the Bonham property or Orchard Road.
Eighteen street lights were approved for Elkton Road. Winslow and Sunset Roads were in line for curbs and gutter, and Townsend Road surface would be graveled. Two new Messick dwellings on Courtney Street needed water service. The Board of Health reported unsanitary conditions on Wilson Street, and property owners were given 20 days to rectify the situation.
Fines up to $25 were incurred by owner if a dog running loose bit someone. William Hamilton was forbidden to have a dog run loose on his property after several people had been bitten by his dog. Designated trees would be removed on West Main Street if abutting property owners would put in sidewalks.