OUT OF THE PAST
Editor’s note: Volunteers at the Pencader Heritage Museum have been digitizing old Newark City Council meeting minutes. They share excerpts with Newark Post readers in a weekly column.
July-September 1941: Mr. McCreight of West Park Place offered to lay all the piping if he was permitted to connect to town water lines, but his request was denied.
The solicitor was instructed to draw up an ordinance conforming to state law concerning Sunday operation of movies and other amusements in response to a petition from some citizens. The town was still holding monthly cleanup days.
Work to extend water and storm sewer service and grade the street on Manns Avenue was approved, as were improvements to North and Wilbur streets and Creek Road. Thompson Lane would be improved if half the cost was borne by the Newark Post, which was housed there.
Residents of New, Center and Linden streets protested the building of a milk plant on New Street by Mr. E. F. Richards. Council voted to table the request temporarily, and the town solicitor said no ordinance would be violated by the milk plant.
October 1936: The town engineer’s proposal for adding a double garage addition to the present garage on East Main Street for housing of new electric department truck and storage was approved. It was recommended that fire company and town officials draw up fire safety regulations and have an ordinance written to cover them. E. F. Richards would get his milk plant permit if plans were approved by engineer.
November 1941: An additional storm sewer was approved between East Park Place and Kells Avenue. A new deep-well pump was purchased for $662.