Blaze damages Brookside home
No injuries reported in accidental fire
A residential fire in Brookside broke out early Tuesday morning, rendering the home uninhabitable, officials said.
The blaze was reported at 1:41 a.m. in the unit block of Kollman Drive, according to John Farrell IV, a spokesman for Aetna Hose, Hook & Ladder Company.
The overhanging portion of roof on the front of the one-story single-family home was on fire, with “heavy smoke coming from all other areas of the home” when Deputy Chief Steve Debold arrived at the scene, Farrell said.
Chief Deputy Robert Fox with the State Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire was caused by discarded smoking material and was ruled accidental. Damages are approximately $20,000.
In addition to Aetna, the Christiana Fire Company, Mill Creek Fire Company, Cranston Heights Fire Company, Minquas Volunteer Fire Company, University of Delaware Emergency Care Unit and New Castle County Paramedics responded to the fire.
As crews worked to get the fire under control, firefighters searched the home for victims.
Farrell said that one man was at the scene. The rest of the family was not at the home during the fire.
Fox said that Red Cross assisted the man at the scene.
There were no civilian or firefighter injuries. In just over two hours, the fire was under control, Farrell said.
The fire broke out early Tuesday morning, damaging a single-family home in Brookside.