Woman res­cued from Kim­ber­ton house fire

Newark Post - - LOCAL NEWS - By BROOKE SCHULTZ [email protected]­pub.com

A fire­fighter and a res­i­dent were in­jured when a fire broke out in Kim­ber­ton on Mon­day morn­ing.

The fire was re­ported at 10:09 a.m. in the end unit on Waltham Street. When crews ar­rived, they found a woman hang­ing out of the sec­ond floor rear win­dow, said John H. Far­rell, IV, a spokesman for Aetna Hose, Hook & Lad­der Com­pany.

“The fire depart­ment si­mul­ta­ne­ously de­ployed hose lines to the front at the fire, and other fire­fight­ers ex­tended a lad­der to the rear sec­ond-floor bed­room and took the lady down the lad­der,” Far­rell said.

The woman, 38, was taken to Chris­tiana Hos­pi­tal to be treated for smoke in­hala­tion. She is in crit­i­cal con­di­tion.

An Aetna fire­fighter, 21, suf­fered mi­nor burns to his shoul­der and also was taken to Chris­tiana Hos­pi­tal. A cat, which was res­cued from the prop­erty, was taken to a nearby an­i­mal hos­pi­tal.

The fire was un­der con­trol in 30 min­utes, Far­rell said. Aetna, along with mu­tual aid from Chris­tiana Fire Com­pany, Mill Creek Fire Com­pany, Hockessin Fire Com­pany and New Cas­tle County paramedics, re­sponded to the scene.

The res­i­dence is un­in­hab­it­able due to $150,000 in dam­age. The home did not have a work­ing smoke de­tec­tor, ac­cord­ing to Michael G. Chion­chio, as­sis­tant state fire mar­shal.

The fire be­gan when the power cord to a por­ta­ble space heater failed, ig­nit­ing a couch in the liv­ing room of the home, Chion­chio said.

Only one prop­erty is at­tached to the town­home that caught fire, and that house sus­tained smoke dam­age.

PIC­TURE COUR­TESY OF AETNA

A fire broke out on Waltham Street in Kim­ber­ton on Mon­day morn­ing. Crews had the fire un­der con­trol in a half hour.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.